Wednesday 25 March 2015

2D Animation - Character Design

Sketches
Before we started with our first main assignement, our VET coordinators got us all together and talked through with us about how we were going to approach this assignment in terms of structure and creative process. The criteria that we had to fill out was to create a robot with 5 animations; a walk cycle, jump, attack, defense animation and a 'transmit data' animation which would be used in the end of a level. To get the best out of our work, we spent the first day gathering inspiration photos and once obtaining what's useful to our design draw several thumbnail sketches.

When it came with creating the sketches, I had several creative blocks which prevented me to let my creative side overcome my logical side. While most of the blocks were associated with myself being tired, the lack of time and the first idea handset, I did manage to come up with several and creative drawings:




























Above are the drawings that my VET coordinators found appealing and interesting. The sketches showed the process of how I played around with the designs of each robot along with experimenting with the perspectives. I then proceeded to redraw the three sketches into Illustrator:


When it came to choosing the character I would be using, I decided to go with the Toaster. The design would be easy to animate and the features which contribute to the design could make the animation interesting and fun. I took the design of the toaster from the image above, polished the design up more and applied each part of the body to its own layer:




No comments:

Post a Comment